Parenting

10 Fun Alternatives to Trick or Treating

• October 18, 2018
10 Fun Alternatives to Trick or Treating

It’s getting close to Halloween, that time of the year where the kids beg to dress up in horrible outfits and go out knocking on the doors of random strangers asking for sweets.

As you might have guessed, it’s not my favourite time of the year. If I’m honest I don’t really get what all the fuss is about, though for the kids it’s obviously all about buckets full of sweets.

I have a bit of an issue with taking my daughter to knock on the doors of people we don’t know – it’s something we would always tell her not to do on any other night so I find it a bit odd.

Little H is 7 and we only started going Trick or Treating a couple of years ago as before that I felt she was too young, plus we were in a flat in an area where none of the neighbours really joined in. We live in a small private development of 15 houses now so are quite lucky that we can just go around our neighbours who we kind of know, so it’s not too much of a double standard.

We usually have a very quick trick or treating trip and then head back home. Our Halloween ‘celebrations’ tend to involve other activities on the weekend or during the day.

Whatever your reasons, if you don’t like the idea of going Trick or Treating with your kids but still want to have some Halloween fun, here are 10 things you could do…

1. Dress up

If you are going to do Halloween then you have to let the kids dress up. Let them put on their outfit, paint their faces, and take some photos. Why not paint your own face too, or let the kids do it for a bit of a laugh.

If you want to dress up without going overboard how about one of these outfits…

Boohoo Pumpkin Dress

Not On The Highstreet Halloween T-shirt

2. Treat hunt

You don’t need to go out Trick or Treating to get sweets. You’ve probably done Easter Egg Hunts so why not a Halloween Treat Hunt?

Hide lots of sweets around the house, give the kids some clues and a bucket, and let them go searching for their treats. If nothing else, it will keep them busy for a bit if you’ve hidden them well!

3. Party with friends

Sometimes half of the fun for children is to see everyone else dressed up too. Get a few of their friends round after school, making sure they come dressed up.

Decorate the house, lay on some spooky party food, play some games, and a maybe organise a treat hunt before their friends go home.

4. Family games night

If you decide to spend the night in on your own you could have a family games night.

There are lots of Halloween games you could play such as apple bobbing, Halloween Bingo, Witches Hat Ring Toss and Halloween Tin Can Bowling.

5. Halloween crafts

Some Halloween crafts after school are a fun way to get the kids in the spooky spirit.

Pinterest has tons of amazing ideas to try, or you could try some of my really easy Halloween craft ideas from last year.

6. Pumpkin Picking

If you haven’t got a pumpkin yet you could head down to a local PYO farm after school.

We always go pumpkin picking the weekend before Halloween and have so much fun choosing our pumpkins.

7. Pumpkin Carving

It’s also fun (but hard work!) to carve them and see who can create the best Jack O’Lantern. We’ve had scary faces, bats, cats and a Minecraft Creeper so far. I’m not sure what Little H will challenge us to carve this year!

Spooky carved pumpkins

8. Movie night

For a quiet night in you can light your pumpkins and sit down in your Halloween outfits with your sweets to watch a spooky film. It’s doesn’t have to be a scary film (I hate anything remotely scary!), there are loads of great family-friendly Halloween themed films you can watch together.

9. Attend a local event

Check out any events near you as you may find a local country park or restaurant is hosting an event. We’re going to be heading to a country park for a spooky evening Halloween trail which will be a nice alternative to Trick or Treating. they’re doing games, a competition for best outfit and pumpkin carving.

Facebook Events is a great way to find out what’s going on in your area.

10. Spooky stories

A nice way to end your Halloween night is with a spooky bedtime story. It doesn’t have to be scary though, there are some fab books that fit in with a Halloween theme. Check out my list of our favourite Halloween books.

What are you going to be doing on Halloween? Do you head out Trick or Treating, or do you prefer to stay indoors?

Mummy in a Tutu

Cup of Toast
If you aren't keen on going knocking on doors at Halloween, check out my list of 10 fun alternatives to trick or treating | Halloween activities for kids |

• Lydia C. Lee

Was always a big fan of the party. This year the 2 teens have exams the next day (one final year) and so I’ll be on gate duty to stop people distrubing them and off load the other to a trick o treater….so to speak. #KCACOLS

• The Frozen Mind

I totally understand the misgivings about trick or treating. Let’s face it, the world isn’t like it used to be! With malls, shopping centers and even churches providing alternatives, if my kids were still little, that is what we would be doing.

#KCACOLS

• Acorn Books

These are great ideas, I’m not a fan of trick or treating mostly because we just don’t need that much sweet stuff in our house!! We did a treat hunt around the house one year when we were on holiday for Halloween and included some non edible treats too just to balance it out!

• Virtually All Sorts (@AllSortsHere)

I’ve never been a huge halloween fan for various reasons. That said, your after school party is a good idea. Our 8yo loves it all is so I’m sure she’ll be going trick or treating with friends and parents! #kcacols

• Sonia Cave

These are all really great ideas to get you in the spooky spirit and still have fun. I usually do a spooky treat hunt round the garden for ours with them in fancy dress having had me do their face paint 🙂

• Mellissa Williams

We used to do apple bobbing, it’s great fun! Lots of alternative activities here. We are planning a Halloween themed film fest this year.

• Anosa - MyrabevLife

We are hoping to go pumpkin picking this weekend and possible attend a halloween disco.

• scots2travel

Trick or treating isn’t for everyone. We only visit local families we know – which is enough sweets for one night! –

• Little Steps/Dean B (@LittleStepsTwit)

I prefer attending a local event too, but sadly, my daughter loves trick or treating with her friends. Fair enough, especially since they have so much fun doing it 🙂

• The Money Shed (@themoneyshed)

Some fantastic ideas here. Not evenone enjoys the door knocking at this time of year so it’s great to have alternatives!

• Lucy Dorrington

I like the idea of making your own fun instead of the traditional Halloween exploits. My youngest has all but grown out of it now, but I have never been a huge fan either!

• fashionandstylepolice

Great alternatives here. A movie night or games with the family would be fun.

• Chloe Ciliberto

I love some of your suggestions! My daughter has asked to go trick or treating this year and I still think she’s a bit young. I’m 100% suggesting some of these ideas instead. x

• Jenni

I’m with you on this one, this is the first year we will go trick or treating. It will only be round to relatives but we have plenty of games at home

• Becky Roversi

We got Trick Or Treating in our village to the homes we know but we only started this last year when my son was 3. Before that we’ve had a party for the little ones and it was so much fun. We pumpkin carve ever year, I bought our pumpkins yesterday and Lucas was so excited when he came home from school to them sat on the table. I LOVE your idea of a Treat Hunt! I may do that in future years! #KCACOLS

• scrapbookadventures365

A games night, pumpkin carving followed by a scary(ish!) movie sounds like a plan to me! Like to dress up too but nothing over the top! Great list of alternatives – stay in and be warm instead!

• madelinelittlejohns

I never went trick or treating as a child and it’s not something I really want to do with my children, so I love all your ideas for ways we can let the children enjoy halloween without knocking on people’s doors! I think we might need to do a little halloween treat hunt in the house this year, they would love that! x #KCACOLS

• Leta Elliott

We’re Christian so don’t celebrate Hallowe’en, but I totally agree about the problem with begging from strangers, knocking on the door of people you don’t know, and accepting sweets from strangers. How many times do we tell kids not to do these things?! Crazy.

• Kate Eccles

We get so many Trick and Treaters here, I’m tempted to go out but the kids would be gutted to miss it all lol! Thank you for linking up with #KCACOLS we do hope you come back again next time! Kate 🙂

• Jo - Cup of Toast

Great ideas here, thank you for sharing with #Blogstravaganza . We don’t go out either, but the boys like to put decorations up and have some fun at home.

• Mom Of Two Little Girls

Great ideas. Thanks for sharing. I’m not keen either, but at this stage it’s not really possible to cancel trick or treating without becoming the worst mother in the world! #blogstravaganza