Parenting

The Busy Mum’s Christmas Planning Checklist

• December 11, 2017

If you’ve read my blog before you’ll know that I like my lists and trying to be an organised mum. What with working 30+ hours a week on top of the school run and ferrying Little H to all her clubs, I don’t have much time for anything else.

If you’re in the same boat, you might find my busy mum’s Christmas planning checklist useful. I’ve tried to list everything you need to get done before the big day.

Put your Christmas Decorations Up

If you haven’t already, get that tree up! It will make you feel so much more Christmassy and makes the winter evenings seem so cosy. We did our Christmas tree a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve been feeling festive ever since. I’ve also bought some lights for outside as spotted some for half price in Tescos, just need to work out how to actually put them up now!

Buy Gifts

An obvious one, but worth finishing ASAP so you’re not doing any last minute panic buying. Write a list of everyone you need to buy for and jot down any ideas you have for gifts. If you have lots of kids to buy for try to take advantage of 2 for 1 offers.

Shop online to find the best deals, and to save time traipsing around the shops. I’ve recently discovered Amazon Prime which covers all your deliveries for £7.99 a month, plus you can get parcels delivered to an Amazon locker which is very handy if you’re out of the house all day. You can get a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime here.

Buy and write cards

Buy your cards early so you can write in batches if you’re short on time. If you need the kids to write or make cards you’d better get them started early too as it’s not a quick job. Don’t forget to buy stamps too! This year the last Christmas posting dates are Thursday 21st December for first class post and Wednesday 20th December for 2nd class post.

Plan your menu and Order your food

I highly recommend thinking about Christmas dinner early – order your food in advance and book a slot for home delivery. There’s no fighting the crowds for the last packet of sprouts in the supermarket or queuing at the checkout for half an hour. I also try to buy a bit each week to spread some of the cost, a bottle of wine here or tube of Pringles there isn’t quite so scary as seeing the whole bill in one go.

Start Wrapping

If you hate wrapping gifts maybe try doing a bit a night, especially good if you have nosy kids who will go looking for presents! Stick on Netflix, open the wine, and wrap a few gifts at a time. Alternatively, if you really hate wrapping you can always find someone local who will be happy to do it for you for a price.

Buy or Make Teacher Gifts

Don’t be the only mum who forgot to buy a gift for the teachers! If you don’t have the budget to buy gifts you could get the kids to make their own. We went for homemade Christmas tree chocolates which were easy to make, cheap and I think look quite nice!

Plan your Christmas Table

Worth thinking about in advance in case you need to buy or make anything. Make sure you have enough plates and cutlery (we were somehow one fork short one year!), and any decorations and napkins that you might need. Pinterest is a great source of inspiration if you’re not sure how to decorate your table.

Buy your secret Santa gift

If you’re doing Secret Santa at work, don’t leave your gift until the last minute. From personal experience I can honestly say that this is the most stressful present of the year! Good shops if you have a tight budget are Tiger, Home Bargains and of course Poundland.

Sort your Christmas outfit

Treat yourself and get your outfit for Christmas day sorted. Bonus points if you can also wear it to your work Christmas party!

Enjoy Christmas!

Hopefully, if you’ve planned everything and got yourself sorted in advance then you can enjoy Christmas day and relax.

if you’re already stressing about how much there is to do, you might want to have a read of my post Ways to cope with last-minute Christmas stress.

Let me know if I’ve forgotten anything on my list!

Christmas is so much easier if you're organised and have a plan. To avoid last minute panics, organise your Christmas with my Busy Mum's Christmas Planning Checklist | Christmas Planning | Organised Christmas | Organisation | Christmas To Do List | Working Mum

• Alicia Potts

The last one is def my fave! lol

• Moments of Grace and Glory

Great list, wow I am not that organized but you have inspired me to start a list!

• RAWLINGS BLOG

Nice one here. If truly the christmas light is not there, it truly dont feel christmassy in the home and no gift card and even the lovely contents in the card.,the atmosphere in the house will not feel christmassy..

• and Jacob makes three

I really need to follow these tips… I’ve bought one present so far! I’m terrible. I’ll be so stressed next week. I’ll check out the Christmas stress post too 🙂 Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time!

• magicalmamablog

I am all on board with this organization!

• The Mummy Bubble

Brilliant list, so good to have all of these reminders #kcacols

• Hayley @Mission: Mindfulness

Helpful reminders here. Wishing you a merry Christmas xx #ablogginggoodtime xx

• Diana

great list..I really need to follow these tips..you have inspired me to start a list! Thanks for sharing

• Evelyn, PathofPresence

Thanks for these reminders to get going and not procrastinate. Like many, my fave is the last one too, ☺️ Although, if you’re a planner, not sure if you can relax til you get going with what’s been planned out ?. Merry Christmas!

• thetaleofmummyhood

This reminds me I need to get organised! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza – Merry Christmas! Xx

• Claire @ The Ladybirds' adventures

I need to make my own list tomorrow. I’m half way through most of these things! Thanks for sharing with #bloggerpinparty

• Jhilmil

Writing Christmas letters is yet awaited for us, also need to book a table for the feast:). Great checklist, need to have a print of this for sure.

• Team-Cartwright.com

I wouldn’t get through the season without my checklist! Thanks for the reminder to get teacher gifts. I need to get on that!

• Lisa Pomerantz

Lovely list for us all, and the best advice too! To enjoy it! Happiest of holidays to you and yours! #kcacols xoxo

• Kate Lili

Great list! Wonder how we lived without Amazon Prime before now to be honest! I’m pleased to say I have been wrapping the kids presents as I’ve gone along (each child has their own paper I bought 3 rolls of each so I know who is whose) and I’ve ordered my Christmas food on click and collect too ? #KCACOLS

• lisa

Great list! Mommys really are busy during this time of the year. The best thing is seeing the smiles on your little ones faces after all the work you have done.

• Laura (@dearbearandbean)

Fab list! I’m pleased to say that I can tick all of these off, except one and that is my Christmas outfit. The girls are all sorted, but I always forget about me! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

• thepeacheepear

The only one I pretty much have done so far is planning my menu lol. It’s ok though I’ll still enjoy my Christmas! Hehe

• whitecamellias

This year I’m actually really organized. I ordered everything online and all my presents are now wrapped and ready to go. Great checklist and thank you for sharing with #StayClassyMama

• Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

The wrapping is where I usually fall flat – I hate it so I leave it all until quite late. But this year I’ve wrapped a few every week and it’s been lovely and low pressure – I’m almost done now (I just keep adding more that need wrapping!) Love Amazon Prime too – nearly all my shopping has been online this year, it’s been lovely! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

• ohjustmylittleblog

Buying your Christmas outfit in time for the work’s party is a great tip! x #SharingtheBlogLove

• Sarah Stockley (@kipperscurtains)

I often leave everything to the last minute at Xmas not sure why – think it may be that I like to get my birthday out of the way which is the week before Xmas. I was wrapping gifts on Xmas eve (in secret out on the corridor) I won’t leave that until last minute this year…. Sarah #sharingthebloglove

• pinkiebag

Hi, these are some great tips, we tend to plan ahead for our food as I grab my free from food when I see it before it disappears. We left secret Santa late last year so that is one thing I must remeber in advance this year #SharingTheBlogLove

• Cassie Parish

Fab tips. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. I was that Mum who didn’t buy the teacher a gift but to be fair he’s 3, it’s our first term in preschool, he was off and missed the end of term due to chickenpox and we struggled to buy for our 14 nieces and nephews so literally had no budget left. I’ll try harder this year.

#KCACOLS

• Emma T

I don’t buy teacher gifts, although N draws them a nice thank you card/writes something in the summer but not at Christmas. #sharingthebloglove

• The Queen of Collage

I’m all for wrapping presents bit by bit rather than leaving it all till Christmas Eve and having to stay up till midnight! #SharingtheBlogLove

• Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...

Most of my planning happened well in advance, I wanted to get it done before the kids broke up from school so I could focus on my time with them #sharingthebloglove