Parenting

Save Space And Make Money

• August 29, 2017

Kids certainly have a lot of stuff! Over 6 years Little H has accumulated enough toys to open her own toy shop. And of course, she never plays with any of them because she spends most of her time watching other kids play with their toys on YouTube!

Last week I’d had enough and decided to blitz her bedroom. We had a major clear out and it’s so much better, she can actually see some floor space now. It’s a shame I didn’t do a before and after photo.

I even managed to make quite a bit of money in the process. Here’s what we did…

Sort into piles

We sorted all toys into one of three piles – keep, donate, sell and throw away. A bit like this fab idea I found on Pinterest from prettyhandygirl.com

Save Space And Make Money | Digital Motherhood

I let Little H do this and she actually wasn’t too bad at letting things go. Most of it she’d forgotten she had, and a lot of the toys were much too young for her anyway.

Keep

The keep pile was then split between putting back into their proper drawers, or in the case of a lot of soft toys that she didn’t want to get rid of, put into the loft.

Sell

I added a lot to local Facebook selling groups and made £40 which all went into Little H’s money box. The baby toys and Disney Princess dressing up costumes sold instantly, so if you still have any of these lying around then it might be worth listing them for sale.

Donate

Anything that didn’t sell or I knew wasn’t worth much went into the charity bag. We ended up with 1 huge bin liner full of teddies, puzzles and the like.

Get rid quickly

If you don’t take the charity shop bags to the shop straight away then your child will probably end up rifling through them and taking back toys. They might sit in your bags for six months but t at least they’re out of the house!

Get kids involved

I found that letting Little H choose what to do with the toys was a good idea, though it obviously took a lot longer! I explained that she could have the money to buy herself some new toys which gave her a good incentive to get rid of stuff.

Rearrange

Once we’d got rid of lots of unwanted toys, Little H’s bedroom was a lot clearer. We put everything away in drawers (thank god for Ikea!) and hid other toys underneath her cabin bed. Don’t just buy more storage otherwise you’ll just end up with more stuff again in no time.

Save Space And Make Money | Digital Motherhood

Do you need a bit of a clear out now the kids have outgrown some of their toys? How much cash do you think you’ll be able to make?

3 Little Buttons
Mummascribbles

• jenbl96

Hey Sarah, Great post! I passionate about purging extra stuff, it can benefit your home and mind in so many ways. I don’t have kids but I like your tip about getting them involved.

• Helen

Fantastic tips – I need to get better at selling things. I just don’t know where to start, as I really don’t like eBay and have never used the Facebook selling sites. It’s such a good way to make some extra money though ?

• Dean B

Fab ideas. I especially love the sorting boxes. I really ought to do this especially since my daughter just celebrated her birthday and have more toys to sort!

• motherhoodtherealdeal

I seem to be constantly clearing out but haven’t been organised enough to sell I usually donate to the charity shop but I’m starting to think I’ve been missing a trick!

• Sophie's Nursery (@sophiesnursery)

I think it’s a lovely idea to get the kids involved! Love the sorting boxes idea x

• whatabigailsays

This is such a good idea! I always forget about the things I have stored away in my room, so may need to do some organising soon!

• Cathy Glynn

This is such a good idea, I will be using it at the weekend when I have a clear out x

• Ana De-Jesus

I like to have a clear out now and again and I definitely need to get back into selling clothes to see if I can earn extra pocket money x

• Kara

I have clear outs every few months and my local pre-school always does really well out of it

• fashionandstylepolice

I need to do a massive clear out asap. Have so many things to get rid of.

• London Mumma

I am dying to de clutter the home, we have so much to get rid of.

• Anosa

I need to do that for my own room as I have loads of stuff that I should giveaway and some probably should sell.

• Newcastle Family Life

My house is overrun with toys, it is getting out of control and I can’t wait to do something like this when my children start school next week. I never sell anything as I am such a hoarder I really need to start selling on facebook groups x

• beccajtalbot

I could do with having a clear out too! My wardrobes are bursting and I have way too much “stuff” x

• mummascribbles

I can just imagine Zach taking part in this – he would be putting everything in the keep box haha! Luckily, Oscar is currently playng with everything too but I do say our front room looks like Toys R Us exploded in it! Thanks for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

• Lisa Pomerantz

What a great post! We went away the last week of summer and I worked hard to rid our home of all the excess! Charity shop, check. Recycle, check. Reuse, check! It was so good. Now, to add making some money too, lovely! TY! Sounds like I need a new round of clean up! Ca-ching! #dreamteam