Travel

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria

• August 12, 2017

You might have noticed from some recent posts that we’ve been on our summer holiday. As soon as school finished for the summer we headed off somewhere sunny and I’m pleased to report that we had the most amazing time!

We weren’t really fussed where we went, our main requirements were lots of sun and a pool. Having been to Tenerife before and not being too keen on it, we weren’t really considering the Canary Islands. However, we saw a fantastic hotel in Gran Canaria (which I’ll blog about separately) and we were sold. We were not disappointed.

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

The area we stayed in was called Meloneras which is in the south of Gran Canaria, next to Maspalomas. It’s quite an upmarket little area, full of designer shops, bars and cafes. Not an English pub or Irish bar in sight which pleased me as I hate all that “Englishness” when I go away.

It’s a short walk to the famous Maspalomas light house and the sand dunes. We went for a walk down to the beach but didn’t spend the day down there. We walked a little way into the sand dunes, which definitely do make you feel like you’re in the desert. It was too hot for Little H to walk too far though.

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

The average temperature for Gran Canaria in July/August is supposed to be around 26 degrees which we were happy with. In reality, the average daily temperature was 35 degrees, getting as high as 40 degrees on a couple of occasions. We love the sun so this wasn’t a problem for us and we just spent the hottest days in the pool.

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

We went on two day-trips which we booked through the Thomson reps at the hotel. The first was to Palmitos Park which was about 20 minutes by bus. Palmitos Park is a wildlife park up in the hills behind Maspalomas. There are parrots, flamingos, reptiles, kangaroos, and a fantastic dolphin show. Little H even had her photo taken stroking a dolphin which I think made her year.

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

The second trip we went on was a boat trip to Puerto De Mogan. We got the coach from Maspalomas to Puerto Rico and then a glass bottomed catamaran to Puerto de Mogan which is such a pretty place. Mogan is full of whitewashed buildings with little lanes covered in beautiful, bright flowers. There’s also a beach and plenty of restaurants and shops. Little H enjoyed the boat ride and we spent most of the journey sat downstairs looking through the windows at the fish swimming by. We also enjoyed sitting on the top deck and checking out the amazing views out to sea.

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

In the evenings the hotel put on a Mini Disco which was a good time for the kids to tire themselves out before bed. After the disco, they put a kids’ film on the screen which was great for getting the children to wind down, and of course for the parents to drink more cocktails. And we drank a lot of cocktails!

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

One evening we visited the Moonlight Cinema which is right next to the hotel and we could actually see it from our balcony. This was my favourite cinema experience ever! Sitting on comfy sofas under the stars we watched Despicable Me 3 while waitresses brought us drinks and popcorn.

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

The main aim of the holiday was to relax which we definitely did. Little H loved the kids’ club at the hotel which ran from 11:00-13:00 and 14:30-16:30 every day. She didn’t go to all sessions but to enough to give us a break and her the chance to make some friends. Apart from that, the husband and Little H spent most of the time in the pool (or pools, there were loads!) and I had so much peace that I read 5 books!

Sun, Palm Trees, Dolphins And Cocktails In Gran Canaria | Digital Motherhood

Unfortunately, we had to come back, to rain and work and so the holiday feeling has well and truly disappeared. I’m currently looking for our next holiday but sadly we’ve run out of days off until next year.

Luckily we have some great memories to keep us going for a while. If you are looking for a holiday destination then I’d definitely recommend checking out Gran Canaria. Watch this space for more holiday posts!

What Katy Said
The Places We Will Go

Flying With A Baby

• Gran Canaria Local

Looks like you had a great time, Sarah. Look forward to reading your Baobab hotel review. We’re sure it’ll make for more interesting reading.

• Jessica - A Modern Mom's Life

That sounds amazing Sarah! I’m so jealous you got through 5 books! Even with all the activities at these resorts my kids don’t seem to leave me alone long enough to read more than 2!
    ~Jess

• Deborah Nicholas

oh that looks amazing, its many many years since i was in gran canaria but i would go back tomorrow given half the chance!

• Jenny - ajennysaved.com

I’ve never been, but it looks lovely! i might have to visit one day

• Katy Stevens

I haven’t been to Gran Canaria for years, looks as lovely as I remember!

• Jenni

We went to the Canaries a lot with my parents when we were younger. This looks like an amazing holiday and one I’m going to look into to as I also like the Englishness to go away on holiday

• Maj

Wow!! Looks great! I’ve never been to the Canaries, but it’s on my list to go! So jealous, the weather has been awful here in the UK! x

• Aneeq

Your trip sounds amazing and relaxing for both adults and kods. Must pay a visit here! Love your pics!

• Kira

Never been but it looks like you had a lovely time ?

• Emma

Gran Canaria looks like such a great place to go on holiday, especially a relaxing one! It’s definitely on my bucket list!

• The Tale of Mummyhood

It looks absolutely beautiful, I have holiday envy! So glad to hear you’ve had a blast! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

• Muffin top mummy

Oh I’m so jealous – this looks amazing! That outdoor cinema is fantastic, and the area sounds lovely, I’ll have to check it out. Looking forward to seeing more, thank you for linking with #Blogstravaganza

• Kerry norris

I’m still away at the mo and dreading returning to rain. Sounds like you had a relaxing time. Love the sand dunes pictures x

• Alana - Burnished Chaos

We love Gran Canria and go every couple of years but I’ve never been to this area, may have to remedy that for next time, it looks beautiful. Getting to read 5 books sounds like heaven, I think I managed one chapter on the flight home and that’s it ?
    #HappyDaysLinky

• Rachel @ The Daisy Pages

That looks like an amazing vacation. I love all your photos, and I could really do with some of that sunshine. Pouring down here in the UK at the moment and your post makes me want to plan a trip somewhere warm xx

• fashionandstylepolice

Good to know you had a relaxing holiday. Loving the holiday snaps.

• Sonia

Oh it looks absolutely gorgeous! It’s rubbish that we actually have to come home isn’t it 😉 Sounds like you had a really wonderful time. Thanks so much for adding to #ThePlacesWeWillGoLinky x

• Musings of a tired mummy...zzz...

Looking forward to hearing more about your holiday. I bet the rain has been a bit of a shock since you came back!

• Rebecca | AAUBlog

oh my word 37 degrees on that sign – insane!! It looks so lovely – hope I can get to a beach sometime soon x

• Katy (What Katy Said)

I’ve never been but it looks and sounds amazing. It is definitely on my list of places to visit! Thank you so much for joining in #HappyDaysLinky x

• Sian Quitefranklyshesaid

I have never been to Gran Canaria at all but one of my close friends goes every single year! It looks fabulous. Thank you for linking up to #HappyDaysLinky x

• Carrie Flying With A Baby

The Moonlight Cinema sounds wonderful! What a perfect way to unwind and relax. A kids disco is great fun for the school age kiddies too! And a cocktail or two always goes down well! #familytraveltips

• Plutonium Sox

Oh wow, what a fabulous place! I love the sound of the evening entertainment. My girls love a disco and that moonlight cinema looks amazing! I haven’t been to Gran Canaria since having children. It’s definitely somewhere I’d consider taking them. Thanks for linking up to #familytraveltips.