Travel

Things To Do In Orlando That Aren’t Disney

• April 30, 2017

We went to Florida last summer and I still haven’t gotten around to writing all the posts I planned to! I’ve written about Disney and Universal, the obvious ones, but there are plenty of other things to do in Orlando that aren’t Disney or theme parks.

If you’re heading to Orlando and don’t want to get too overloaded with Disney here are some things you could do…

Shopping in Orlando

There are loads of great places to shop in Orlando. Firstly you have to visit The Florida Mall, the biggest mall in Orlando and defintiely the biggest mall I’ve ever been in,  I have never seen a shopping centre like this in my life! You could probably spend 2 weeks here alone!

The mall has every shop you can think of, including the ones you’ve seen on TV and in magazines like Macy’s and Sears. There’s also loads of restaurants, M&Ms World, and a few soft play areas with sofas where Dad and kids can sit while you shop!

Things To Do In Orlando That Aren't Disney | Digital Motherhood

If you’re looking for bargains the Orlando shopping outlets are a must visit. The outlets are great if you like designer clothes and accessories – I’m still kicking myself for not buying a Michael Kors handbag that was “only” £200!

Eating out in Orlando

When you’re not eating at the theme parks there are so many places to eat in Orlando that you’ll be spoilt for choice. We enjoyed pancakes for breakfast in Dennys and iHop on International Drive, and ate enough shrimp to feed a small town at Red Lobster.

Things To Do In Orlando That Aren't Disney | Digital Motherhood

The retaurants in Disney and Universal are not surprisingly very pricey, but there are plenty of cheap places to eat in Orlando. Your best bet is to head for International Drive as it’s home to every kind of restaurant you can restaurants.

As well as pancaked we also had pizza, pasta, steak, Mexican, Chinese and so much more – there’s nothing you can’t get in Orlando! Of course, it’d be rude not to try Taco Bell, Wendys, Baskin Robins and all those other famous American chains.

Crazy Golf

On International Drive there are some great themed crazy golf courses including Pirate’s Cove Adventure Golf and Congo River Golf,  and at Universal Blvd, you can find the Hollywood Drive-in Golf.

They’re open really late (Hollywood Drive-in Golf doesn’t close until 2am!) so it’s a great way to pass some time after dinner if the kids still aren’t tired.

The Crayola Experience Orlando

One of the most fun things to do in Orlando with kids besides Disney is The Crayola Experience. Located inside The Florida Mall, it’s a really fun attraction with loads of hands-on activities for kids. As well as typical colouring fun there’s also digital colouring, soft play and modelling. I’ve seen lots of Crayola Experience coupons and vouchers online so it’s worth doing a search before you buy your tickets.

The Crayola Store is amazing by itself, everything is laid out in colours and you could spend hours just in there!

Things To Do In Orlando That Aren't Disney | Digital Motherhood

Universal CityWalk

Ok so technically this is a theme park, but it’s not Disney so thought I’d include it! If you’re looking for things to do in Orlando for free, you can park at Universal CityWalk for free after 6:00pm and have a wander around. There are lots of things to see from DJs to dance parties to splash parks for the kids. You can eat and drink there too of course, but if you’ve had dinner at your hotel or villa, Universal CityWalk can be fun to go for a walk around without costing you a penny.

Cinema

When in America you have to see a film in a proper American cinema! We went to the AMC Movies cinema in Disney Springs to see The Secret Life Of Pets which was great fun. The cinema was huge and the seats were as comfy as a sofa – you can even eat dinner while you watch the film! There’s also a cinema in Universal,  the Real Pointe cinema on International Drive and I’m sure there are plenty of others around Orlando.

ICON Orlando

We drove past a few times but didn’t get time to go on the ICON Orlando, it looks fab though and worth a visit if you do have time.

The ICON Orlando (previously the Coca-Cola Orlando Eye) is a 400 ft tall giant observation wheel – the sixth tallest in the world. Ticket prices start from $18 and riders have amazing views of the Central Florida landscape.

Things To Do In Orlando That Aren't Disney | Digital Motherhood

From the top you can see views of downtown Orlando and the theme parks, it’s a great way to see the whole of Orlando.

As you can see there are loads of things to do in Orlando besides theme parks – really you need at least a month there to see and do everything!

Have you been to Orlando? What else did you get up to apart from the theme parks? If you’re thinking about going to Orlando on holiday what are you looking forward to? What’s at the top of your list of places to go in Orlando?

Rhyming with Wine
If you are looking for things to do in Orlando besides theme parks, click through to see my list of ideas and attractions | Orland, Florida | Things to do in Orlando that aren't Disney | Things to do in Orlando besides Universal | Cheap things to do in Orlando | Things to do in Orlando with kids | Things to do in Orlando for families | Things to do in Orlando at night | Fund things to do on holiday in Orlando

• Sunita

This is a fab round up. I’m off to Orlando for the Mom 2.0 blogger Summit next week. Not sure I’ll have time to check out the mall but great to have these ideas!!!

• The Mum Reviews

Great post! I have been to Orlando many times but I didn’t know about the Crayola experience or the Orlando Eye (that must be new!). I definitely approve of allotting time to shopping and eating 🙂 #kcacols

• Sara

Oh how I would love to go to Orlando! The Crayola experience sounds and looks amazing! The whole thing looks amazing! Thank you for sharing and for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope to see you again next time!

• Kelly-Anne | Mimi Rose and Me

Ooooh the Crayola visit looks interesting. But yes, there are so many things to do other than Disney. #kcacols

• Jeremy-Thirstydaddy

we are actually leaving for Orlando in two days! One of the things I have planned besides the parks is a place called “old town.” I’ve never been there before but it has shops, restaurants, and some smaller rides. looks like a more relaxing way to spend our saturday. #KCACOLS

• The Hippy Christian Mum

You had me at Mall. I have been researching Orlando as I’m planning a family trip there to WDW and all the rest but not for 2 yrs yet, I have been indulgent! Anyway, I saw the crayola experience on a vlogger channel on YouTube and it looked so cool. I will definitely be getting a car this time as well so we can eat at all those lush places you mentioned. I’m going to bookmark this post by sharing to Twitter. #KCACOLS

• Amy

We are off to Orlando in June, I actually did a similar version of where to go that’s not theme parks. I am most looking forward to Discovery Cove! #kcacols

• Jade @ Captured By Jade

A great round up – I’ve been to Orlando pre baby, but am keen to visit again now we’re a family and a lot of these activities I have my eye on. #MarvMondays

• Beth Owen

I’d love to visit Orlando one day. Great list of things to do. Those pancakes look delicious. #MarvMondays

• My Petit Canard

Great post! Hoping to take the little ones to Orlando in a year or two so its definitely useful to be aware of what else is in the area besides Disney and Universal. I went about 15 years ago or so, so I bet a lot has changed since then! Fab post, thanks for sharing it on #MarvMondays. Emily

• Annette, 3 Little Buttons

Oh wow, there really are so many fab things to do there. Those pancakes look amazing! *Runs off to see if needs to fly out to Orlando to obtain such pancakes. First time I have ever heard of the Orlando eye. And there’s me thinking that the London eye was one of a kind hehe! Thank you for sharing with the #DreamTeam x

• Plutonium Sox

Some brilliant ideas, I LOVE the idea of the crayola experience! It’s always good to have a break from the theme parks, when we were there we drove to the beach on a couple of days to escape the parks. It is a fabulous destination. Thanks for linking up to #FamilyTravelTips
    Nat.x

• Kirsty - Winnettes

These are some great activities. Taco Bell is really high on my hit list for when we go. The Eye looks great but the London one makes me feel queazy so I’m not sure I would manage it. I bet the views are amazing.
    #KCACOLS

• mainy

The orlando eye looks good. We have got one down in bournemouth now but I can imagine that it is a load smaller! Great roundup, the food looks yummy! Thats one of the things I enjoyed about America was the food and lots of it:)
    Mainy
    #KCACOLS

• Amie

Ah this is awesome! I really want to go to Orlando but honestly all of the Disney was putting me off! My children are more paw patrol and Peppa kinda kids so they probably wouldn’t have a clue what most Disney things were! #KCACOLS

• Sarah | Digital Motherhood

They’d probably like Universal more than Disney World then, there’s Dr Seuss land, Curious George splashpark, Despicable​ Me ride…

• Carrie - Flying With A Baby (familytravel)

Some fabulous ideas here! Such a great idea to include all the other activities as it is so easy to get distracted by the big D! Crayola looks amazing! #familytraveltips

• Epril

This is a great post for my blogging partner Amy who will be going there in June with her husband to celebrate their anniversary. I will let her check this out ? #kcacols

• JB

If we ever get kids, we will need this so thanks a lot!!

• Tammy

The shopping is wonderful at that mall. I love going there when we are in Orlando. And the mini golf is some of the best. You can golf with gators!!

• Travel Foodie Mom

Great post! We are headed to Orlando for 4 nights in July!

• Becki Svare

These are some great things to do in the Orlando area! The Crayola Experience is supposed to be a lot of fun! I have an article about Fort Christmas that Orlando visitors might be interested in too… http://www.abookloversadventures.com/day-trip-christmas-florida-orlando/

• Cal at Family Makes

Oh I’d love to take my kids to Florida! I wouldn’t have thought to see a movie actually, that’s a great wind-down activity idea. I didn’t know about the Crayola museum either. I must remember these for when I save up enough! #WanderlustKids