Parenting

Things To Do Before You Turn Six

• October 27, 2016

Little H is almost 5 & a half (I still can’t believe it!) and is always saying “when I’m 6 will I be able to…?”. It gets me thinking about how much she’s achieved over the last year.

She’s been at school for over a year now and is great at reading by herself which is a fantastic achievement for any child. School has also made her really independent and much more confident.

We signed Little H up for gymnastics at the start of this year and she has just done her second graded badge.

There’s plenty more that I won’t bang on about, but it makes us wonder about all the things that she’ll accomplish over the next year.

Between us we’ve come up with a list of things to do before you turn 6…

Ride a bike without stabilisers

We attempted this a few months ago. It did not go well. But we’re going to buy her a new bike (without stablisers) for Christmas and we WILL master it by the time she’s 6!

Swim without armbands

This is something we haven’t really attempted yet. Little H goes swimming with my Dad quite often but has never had any proper swimming lessons. I’m looking for some lessons for her to start in the new year so I’m sure she will manage this one before she turns 6.

Tell the time

Little H got a watch for her birthday and has started trying to tell the time. Mostly she can get the o’clocks but anything else is just a pure guess at the moment. They’re now learning this at school so I think she’ll be able to do it soon.

Tie your shoelaces

I tried to explain this once and it gave me a headache. We’re going to have to get her doing this soon though –  I can’t have a 6-year-old who can only wear velcro shoes!

Do a cartwheel

This is Little H’s personal entry into our list. At the moment she wants nothing more from life than to be able to do a cartwheel like the big girls at gymnastics. I’m no help whatsoever but hopefully with help from her gymnastics teacher and lots of practice she’ll get there.

What would you put on a list for your child?

If you're child is 5, you might be wondering how they are progressing or if they can do things that other kids the same age can do? My 5 year old and I put together a list of things she wants to do before she turns six | Things to do before you turn six | #kids #parenting #milestones

Dear Bear and Beany

• mackenzieglanville

Fun list! I wish Adam could ride his bike, but he refuses and he is seven now. Hopefully soon! #sharingthebloglove

• Keri-Anne

My little girl is 5 and a half too and her main dream before she turns 6 is to ride her bike with no stabilisers. She is finding it so difficult but i am going to try my hardest to help her x

• Colette

Chloe got a bike without stabilisers for her 5th birthday but as yet has struggled to master it. If I’m honest I think it’s probably a little big for her which isn’t exactly helping the situation.

• Nicole | The Professional Mom Project

Great list! My son has got the swimming one down (he’s been in lessons for a long time) but isn’t quite at the biking without training wheels yet. If I can add something to his list, I’d suggest that he stop sucking his thumb! #SharingTheBlogLove

• Emma T

N is 6 in January – he ticked off the bike riding just after his 4th birthday, but did go from a balance bike so no stabilisers. And he doesn’t swim with arm bands, but I’d like him to be able to swim at least 10 metres without any float aim. At the moment he can do nearly half the pool but the teacher wants to move him up when there’s space in the next class, but he really needs tobe able to do the whole lesson without anything. So January is the goal.

He’s similar with telling the time -can do o’clock and half past. But the big one for me is tying laces. Now his feet are growing we’re getting to the stage where velcro will be reduced. But lots of people tell me that most don’t learn laces until they’re 7. I can’t wait that long. He’s not even wanting to try to learn at the moment.

Good luck

• Five little doves

What a fab idea! I think riding a bike and swimming would go on our list too. My eldest daughter will be 5 in February and I can’t even contemplate six!! #sharingthebloglove

• Lauren Belle du Brighton

Love this list! Always a good idea to have goals! Good luck to her with getting rid of the stabilisers!

• Rebecca | AAUBlog

This is really useful. My son is nearly five and hasn’t learnt how to ride a bike yet – we need to get on it!

• Cass Bailey

Aw what a lovely little list – I’ve never managed a cartwheel myself and I’m a LOT older than x x

• Laura - dear bear and beany

I love this idea! I remember my aunty teaching me to tie my laces one afternoon, she has lots of patience and was determined I would do it. It felt like a very big moment in my childhood. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

• Ickle Pickle

Oh how sweet! Pickle has just turned four and is already saying ‘When I am five….’ He also says ‘Of course I can – i am four now!’ So cute! Kaz x

• Stephanie Moore

What a cute list! My twin girls need to learn to do their laces, there are so many shoes with them!

• Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

Oh, I really hope she manages to do a cartwheel! I have to admit that I struggled with tying shoelaces for a long time after I was 6 – always went with buckles. I still struggle with knots now! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

• Tori @ The Mama Nurse

Cute list – A great reminder of all the important learning children do and how fun it can be!
    #KCACOLS
    Tori

• RACHEL BUSTIN

Love the list. I only have a 9 month old but I’m sure time will come when we will want to do these things. Great fun things to do! xx

Thanks for linking up at #KCACOLS.
    Hope you join up again next Sunday.

• Heledd @ yummyblogger

Oh such a cute list! We’re a few years behind you but good to know what’s to look forward to! Good luck with hitting those milestones!
    #kcacols

• Devon Mama

What a cute list – especially the cartwheel. Are you going to have a celebration after each one is achieved?! #kcacols

• Kaye

This is adorable and such a cool twist on something us adults tend to do. Definitely going to do this with my boys as they grow up. Thanks for linking to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

• Kellie Kearney

My little one is almost 7 and we are still learning to ride without stabilisers. Good luck!

• chocolateandwineandillbefine

This is such a lovely list, with so many big milestones in it! I don’t think I could do a cartwheel now though so I would be very impressed if she managed that! #KCACOLS

• Now I am Mum

What a lovely list! I would add hula-hooping and handstands to my list… all things you become unable to do as an adult (pretty sure I’d do some serious damage if I tried a cartwheel now). #kcacols

• Emma Plus Three

My son will be 6 in March but I don’t think he’s close to doing any of these yet. We really do need to sort swimming lessons and encourage him to use his bike more often but he just isn’t interested x #KCACOLS

• Jenni - Odd Socks and Lollipops

Awww this is a great list, my daughter is nearly three but I am looking forward to her doing all those things! #KCACOLS

• jeremy@thirstydaddy

Mine is about the same age and my list would look pretty similar. I’ve been putting off teaching her to tie her shoes because I know its going to be a real patience tester. Might be about time though #KCACOLS

• Silly Mummy

If I’m being honest, I’m just pleased I can do all the things on the list! I was genuinely concerned there would be things I can’t do at 36! I think it’s a good list for things to try before 6! #KCACOLS

• Sarah - Arthurwears

Have you tried a balance bike? We had a team come into my reception class and teach the children how to use their core muscles to obtain their balance and by the end of the lesson some of the children had already progressed onto pedal bikes (without stabilisers) – i was sceptical until saw this! #kcacols