Days Out

An Afternoon Picking Pumpkins At The Cat & Fiddle Farm In Christchurch

• October 24, 2016

Picking pumpkins in the run up to Halloween has become a little bit of a tradition for us – this weekend we went for the third year in a row.

I blogged last year about our little pumpkin picking adventure, and we went to the Cat & Fiddle Farm in Christchurch again this year.

The farm has grown a bit in the last few years, and now has a shop serving drinks and a few things for the kids to play on. If it’s a nice, sunny day – like it was on Saturday – you can definitely spend an hour or two here.

First up we went hunting for the perfect pumpkins, we were after 2 – one for Little H to design and one for the husband! I thought we might have left it a bit late as the last 2 years there haven’t been that many decent ones left the week before Halloween. This year though there’s 2 fields of pumpkins so were plenty to choose from.

Picking Pumpkins At The Cat & Fiddle Farm In Christchurch | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

We had a good walk up and down the field, search for the perfect shapes pumpkins without any dents. We found 2 great ones and we all had good fun looking for them. Who knew pumpkins were so heavy though!

As well as the pumpkin patches there’s also broadbeans, blackberries, red currants and several corn maize fields. Little H had a great time running through the corn maize – both her and the husband kept themselves amused for quite a while hiding from me.

On the way out we stopped by the hay bales that had 100s of kids climbing over them. Little H spotted a boy from school and made a few other friends. 45 minutes later we were still sat in the beautiful sunshine watching her jump from hay bale to hay bale!

In the end what we thought would be 20 minutes choosing a pumpkin actually ended up as almost 2 hours having a great time 🙂

Our next job is to carve these pumpkins by this coming weekend so that we can go to a local ‘Pumpkin Parade’ to show them off! Keep your eyes peeled for the results…

My Petit Canard

What Katy Said

Country Kids
Two Tiny Hands

• thishappenedtometoday (Michelle)

This looks fab! I stupidly didn’t even realise you could do this? My kids would really love this. Not sure how many pumpkins would get picked but running around amongst them would pretty much make their day. #MarvMondays

• Emma

I don’t remember anyone going pumpkin picking, or even carving any when I was a child but now it seems like everyone is doing it! Looks like a fun day out though so I can see why.

#CountryKids

• Sarah | Digital Motherhood

Yes totally agree, we never did much for Halloween just a bit of trick or treating at our friends houses. Nothing to the scale it is now!

• Helena

Sounds like your family had good fun. I look forward to seeing your carvings. #CountryKids

• Heidi @him_me_three

Looks like you all had a fabulous trip. I’ve seen so many posts about picking pumpkins this year that I really must try it!

#countrykids

• Coombe Mill

I love how afternoons can turn out like this. What sounds like just choosing a pumpkin becomes a real adventure. It sounds like you found two perfect pumpkins and your daughter had a blast in the hay too. I hope the carving goes well for the parade this weekend. Do come back and share again on #CountryKids.

• tracey at Mummyshire

Some of those pumpkins look huge! Looks like you all had lots of fun – isn’t it always the way that the impromptu afternoons are often the best ones!
    Good luck with the carving!
    #CountryKids

• Sian QuiteFranklySheSaid

Oh I am so envious! Your photos are wonderful and it sounds like it was a lot if fun! Thanks for linking up to #HappyDaysLinky x

• Katy (What Katy Said)

I am so jealous of your pumpkin photos!! We have nothing like that around here! Gorgeous photos. Thank you for sharing in #HappyDaysLinky xx

• My Petit Canard

It sounds like you guys had a lovely afternoon at the pumpkin patch. We havent been to one yet, but they definitely seem to be getting more and more popular in the UK. Something for us to try next year I think 🙂 Thanks for sharing this on #MarvMondays. Emily

• Laura: Adventures with J

Sounds fun! I didn’t know they had a cafe there. I am looking forward to taking J strawberry picking in the summer. #familyfun

• Karen : TwoTinyHands

I just love these pumpkin farms. Isn’t it just great when something ends up being one more fun and two more time consuming than you’d thought. Sounds like a fab day out in the end! Thanks for linking up to #familyfun

• tammymum

Ah sounds like a lovely day. I love the thought of watching you’re little ones jumping in the hay, sounds very picture perfect. Thank you for sharing at #familyfun xx