I love my sleep, always have and find getting up at 06:30 for work every day a real struggle. Lack of sleep has definitely been the hardest part of parenting.
We know we’ve been very lucky in that since she was around 2, Little H has gone to bed at about 7 pm every night without too much trouble. She used to wake between 06:30-07:00 which was just about bearable, but since moving her to a bed at about 3 years old she’s woken up at around 05:00 every day. Every. Single. Day.
Sometimes it can be as early as 04:30, and sometimes as late as 05:45. I simply cannot function before 06:00 so when she comes in we do our bad genius parenting bit of giving her the iPad and sending her away to watch Disney Jnr videos for a bit.
They say the average 4-year old asks 437 questions a day – a bit of a low estimate if you ask me. Unfortunately, the questions don’t appear to slow down at 5 years old, and in our house, they start the second our child gets up in the morning.
Most days I get rudely awoken with a prod and a little voice saying “Mummmyyy” and asking me a ridiculous question that for some reason can’t wait until a decent hour.
Here are some of the questions my child has woken me up with…
- What are you dressing up as for Halloween? (It was nowhere near October)
- Are there jellyfish in the sea in England?
- Is it the weekend today? (Usually on a Monday!)
- Do I have to go to school today?
- What’s for breakfast today? (She attends breakfast club and expects me to memorise the menu)
- When are nanny & grandad back from holiday? (They only went yesterday!)
- Can you find me a new game on the ipad?
- How do you make rain?
- What’s electricity made of?
- Where’s Daddy? (Probably having a wee!)
- Which planet is the coldest?
- When is it my birthday? ( This one is a regular and started about 2 weeks after her last birthday)
- How many days until Christmas? (Also a regular)
- How many days until we go on holiday? (I wish I’d never told her we were going!)
- How do you spell monkey? (whyyy?)
Needless to say, I don’t usually give very good answers at that time of the morning!
Does anyone else have to go through this every day?