Days Out photography

Exploring our doorstep – Knoll Beach

• January 17, 2016

As I’ve mentioned before we feel very lucky to live where we do, in beautiful Dorset. We live in Poole which is the perfect location to visit the New Forest and the Purbecks as well as Bournemouth & Christchurch. Best known for its miles of sandy beaches we have plenty of places to choose from when getting out and about at the weekends, and even better it’s free!

One of my aims for 2016 was to visit more places right on our doorstep so this weekend even though it was very chilly (and I hate being cold!) we wrapped up warm and headed over to Studland.

From Poole you can take the chain ferry, but not being very organised we had no loose change on us so drove the slightly longer route round. It takes about 40 mins but the scenery is so beautiful that it’s definitely worth the drive.

We stopped at the National Trust’s Knoll Beach which is a long sandy beach with views to Poole and Bournemouth one way, Old Harry rocks the other way, and the Isle of Wight straight ahead.

Saturday was a lovely clear day, the sea was incredibly calm and Little H had a great time exploring and throwing stones into the sea. Behind the beach there’s a few rows of beach huts and paths leading up to them which are perfect for little explorers. You can also follow the path away from the beach and head up into the countryside of the Purbecks but we decided that little 4 year old legs probably couldn’t make it too far so stuck to the beach.

As you’d expect from a National Trust place, Knoll Beach is very natural and not at all touristy. However, there is a lovely cafe to have a rest at afterwards and grab a hot chocolate and piece of cake!

If you come to visit the Poole area in the summer we would definitely recommend a visit to Studland, away from the touristy beaches in Poole and Bournemouth. Kids aren’t best known for sitting still so this beach is great because they can go for a little wander without going too far.

It’s such a perfect place for taking photos, so here are mine:

IMG_20160116_172052

knoll beach

knoll beach

knoll beach

knoll beach

knoll beach

knoll beach

If you visit the Poole area this summer, I definitely recommend you checking out Knoll Beach and Studland.

Country Kids from Coombe Mill Family Farm Holidays Cornwall

Sunday Snap
What Katy Said
Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs

• Harry's Honest Mummy

I am always drawn to beaches. I just love them, whatever the weather. It is the way they can look so different depending on the light and the day that you go. Lovely photos. #HappyDaysLinky

• Coombe Mill

It looks like a beautiful day for the beach and what a lovely one with smooth sand and lovely views. Those beach huts look so very British, funnily enough none of our Cornish beaches have them, I think they must be a south coast thing. Thank you for sharing you winter walk with me on #CountryKids

• Kara

We love Knoll Beach, but always head for Middle Beach as it is slightly quieter. My friends operate Fore Adventure there and we go kayaking and do Bushcraft – that is a great day out. Nice to ‘meet’ a fellow Poole blogger xx

• fit2thrive

Lovely photos. YOu are very lucky to have this beach. We were in dorset this summer and it was wonderful so you remindded ne of those happy memories 🙂 #countrykids

• islandliving365

Lovely photos and what a lovely beach and that sea looks so calm and tranquil 🙂
    #countrykids

• bettyl - NZ

So many people take the area they live for granted. This seems like a wonderful place. Good on you for exploring close to home.

• Katy (What Katy Said)

Ah I love Dorset, my best friend lives down that way. Your photos are gorgeous!! Thank you for joining in #HappyDaysLinky x

• Sian @ QuiteFranklySheSaid

What a beautiful set of photos, I used to spend a lot of time in Dorset when I was little and have a lot of happy memories. Thanks for linking up to #HappyDaysLinky x

• nessjibberjabberuk

It looks such a nice place to go and explore in January. I love the beach when it’s quiet.

• entertainingelliot

We went to Knoll Beach this afternoon actually! Not been there in years but my little boy had a brilliant time jumping the waves…and almost falling over 😉 x

• ethannevelyn.com

Wow! This really look so beautiful and quiet. Such a perfect place for kids to discover the sea and the artefacts in the little stream. #MyFavouriteTrip

• Sammy From Mamma With Love

Its nice to explore more on your doorstep isn’t it. Its looks so beautiful and peaceful there. Lovely pictures too! #MyFavouriteTrip

• Our Seaside Baby

Lovely to hear about your adventures and your plans to explore more of the local area. I do love Dorset. The nearest I’ve been to Knoll beach is Durdle Door and I would love to return with my little boy. Gorgeous photos, the views are stunning. Thanks so much for linking up #MyFavouriteTrip Polly x

• Jayne (@SMABLblog)

How lovely that you have all of these beautiful places not far from your home.
    And what fab captures!
    It looks like little H had a great time too.
    Thank you so much for linking up with #meandyou 🙂 x

• Cindy

It looks beautiful! I love being by the beach anytime of the year, there is something so relaxing about being by the water and taking in the fresh sea air. Looks like a great day out!

• Exploring our doorstep – Knoll Beach – LIFE OF A DIGITAL MUM

[…] This post can now be found here. […]

• Fun Things To Do In Poole and Bournemouth With Kids - Digital Motherhood

[…] recommend the National Trust beaches over at Studland  – Knoll Beach is our favourite, here’s a blog I wrote about in the […]