Working Mum

Top Tips For Being Awesome And Getting Stuff Done

• September 29, 2015

Multi-tasking is one of those essential skills that every mum needs, and if you’re a work at home mum or freelancer it’s even more vital that you can juggle several things at once so that you can get things done.

But, if you have a never-ending to-do list and struggle to find enough hours in the day to get it all completed, I have some hacks to maximise your productivity. Here are my top tips for being awesome and getting stuff done…

Disclosure: This post contains some affiliate links, which means I may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you make a purchase through a link.

Take yourself away from distractions

If the house is a mess and all you can think about is tidying up, it might be best to go and work in a coffee shop for a couple of hours. If you have to be at home, make sure you turn off the TV to avoid being distracted by daytime television.

Write lists

The world can be divided into 2 types of people, those who write lists and those who don’t. As a lover of lists, I can guarantee that you’ll get more done if you write down your tasks and tick them off as you go. If you’re a bit of a stationery geek you can also use it as an excuse to buy pretty pens and notebooks!

Prioritise

When writing your lovely lists make sure you put the most important things at the top. The worst thing you can do when you’re working for yourself is missing important deadlines that your clients are waiting for. Prioritising your to-do list will help you with your time management and hopefully avoid task switching.

Try Single-Tasking

If you have a lot on your plate, maybe you need to stop trying to multi task for a bit? Pick the thing you need to get done first and focus solely on that. Turn off your phone, close down any other browser windows and concentrate on the job in hand.

Don’t promise too much

It’s hard not to see the pound signs when you are offered extra work but try to be realistic. If you can only fit 4 or 5 hours work around the school run, don’t take on any more. You’ll only end up stressed out at midnight when you’re tired and still trying to get everything finished.

Take regular breaks

The benefit of working for yourself is that you can take breaks whenever you want (that and being able to work in your PJs!). Neckache, backache and headaches are common when using computers for long periods of time, so take advantage of the fact you don’t have a boss breathing down your neck and make sure you get up, have a stretch and make a cup of coffee every so often.

Pat yourself on the back

If you manage to cross lots of tasks of your list, or finish a big project before the deadline then give yourself credit for being awesome…and maybe have a nice slice of cake as a reward!

I hope that some of these tips will help you to focus, priorities and be better at managing your workload. If you have any other good tips feel free to leave them in the comments section below.

Top Tips For Being Awesome and Getting Stuff Done | Tips for managing your time and workload | Time management tips | Multi-tasking tips | Working Mum Tips | #workingmum #workingmom #bossbabe

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

• aspiringyummymummy

Love organisation tips! I’m a list lover too and totally agree that writing a list can be super productive, a little scary at first to see everything you’ve got to do but amazing when you tick things off! x

• 10 Tips On How to Be An Organised Blogger - Digital Motherhood

[…] If you still need to get more organised, have a read of my blog post Top tips for being awesome and getting stuff done […]

• Coombe Mill

The tips are so obvious yet still I fail to follow them sometimes. I know when things get too much I need a list though. #KCACOLS

• tinmccarthy

Lists are my bff I swear.

This is good for me. I need to be awesome AND I need to get stuff done.

#KCACOLS

• Sunita

Some great tips here. Breaks are so important. I have a part-time job and so I’m sitting at the desk a lot! Even though I’m organised about being organised the list never stops growing! #KCACOLS

• Amanda Fulton

Oh I was drawn to your list straight away!!! I am so rubbish at being organised, I need all the help I can get – thank you!!!! #KCACOLS

• teachingmum81

Ah, if only I was lucky enough to work for myself. I do however write lists. My teacher lists never ends. Even now I am holiday, it’s slowly growing. Fab tips and yes to fancy pens! #kcacols

• Jane Taylor

I love, love, love lists and organising! And stationery! We’re towing our caravan as we speak, packed with the help of an excel spreadsheet !!! Thanks for reminding me of what I should be doing but forget…#kcacols

• Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons

I am a big list maker! Although you got it right with your stationery comment – I’m also a big stationery fan! Nothing makes me happier than a nice prioritised list to work through, ticking each item off. I do need to get better at the taking breaks advice though – it’s so easy to get caught up in something and then realise you’ve been working for hours straight! Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

• Beta Mummy

I love a list! I’m a working mum (not at home though) and my To-do list is essential. In fact I have several to-do lists at any one time!
    #kcacols

• Helen @ Little Owl Gift Baskets

Great tips! I’m terrible for getting distracted when I’m working at home, it tends to be Facebook that’s my downfall though! I should definitely write more lists- you can never have too much stationery! #KCACOLS

• Sonia

I’m a list person- if it’s not on a list, it doesn’t get done! #KCACOLS

• themotherhub

Love a list – is there anything more rewarding than crossing something off your to do list ! #kcacols p

• Rebecca Taylor

Great tips – thank you for sharing. Lists are great. I also find working elsewhere is better otherwise I end up doing housework! #KCACOLS

• Kim

Great advice! I am as list maker too and because of it I get stuff done! #KCACOLS

• Mad Mommy

Removing distractions definetely helps for me. I find scheduling my tasks also makes a big difference. Great list. #KCACOLS

• Emma

distractions are def the best for NOT getting things done lol! I focus on the blog best when I turn twitter off! #KCACOLS

• oddhogg

I need to take these on board – I’m such a procrastinator! Definitely need to start with prioritising #kcacols

• Madeline (This Glorious Life)

Great advice, I need to work on being more organised and more efficient! x #KCACOLS