Surviving 6 Years Of Parenting

Today my daughter turns 6. Six!! How on earth did that happen?

It only feels like yesterday that I was stomping around, fat, grumpy and 2 weeks overdue. Yet here I am with 6 years of parenting under my belt.

You go through a hell of a lot as a parent. A lot of stresses, worries, tears and quite a few grey hairs. But I’ve survived so far!

Things I’ve survived in 6 years of parenting…

I’ve survived colic.

I’ve survived 14 months of a baby who didn’t sleep through the night.

I’ve survived returning to work before my baby turned one.

I’ve survived the terrible twos and the threenager stage.

I’ve survived the endless questions of a 4-year-old and a being bossed around by a 5-year-old.

I’ve survived my baby starting school.

I’ve survived almost 2 years of the school run.

I’ve survived being woken up at 5:30am every day for the last 3 years.

I’ve survived 6 years of being absolutely shattered.

I’ve survived 6 years of constant worry about whether I’m a good mum.

I know it’s a cliche but I wouldn’t change any of it for the world (except the colic!) because although it’s always easier to think of the bad bits we’ve also had so many good bits.

The good bits…

Six years of fun and laughter.

Six years of cuddles.

Six years of being amazed every day by the things she comes out with.

Six years of adventures.

Six years of holding a little hand.

Six years of being told “I love you Mummy” every day.

Six years of watching her grow.

Being a mum is definitely the best job in the world and I look forward to the next 6 years – then she turns into a teenager and I’m not sure I’ll enjoy that as much!

Hot Pink Wellingtons
Mummuddlingthrough

11 thoughts on “Surviving 6 Years Of Parenting

1. MMT says:

Wow your baby said ‘I Love you’ when she was one day old?! Ha ha, just messing 😉
    This is proper gorge…our eldest is five and it’s such a lovely stage when they start to get like your buddy as opposed to your kiddo isn’t it? We exchanged a knowing comedy glance at her little sisters antics today and it was a real magic moment.
    Congrats on making it this far…keep going, the next hurdle is around the corner but you’ve learnt you can get through Colic – you can get through anything xx

2. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons says:

I hope you both enjoyed celebrating her birthday! Parenting is an odd one – it’s so often such a struggle and a challenge, but the good times completely outweigh it all and make it so worthwhile. Mind you, I’m not sure I’m cut out for the teenage years either – maybe ask me again once my son is 16!! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

3. Jo from Organised Jo says:

Doesn’t time fly when you are having fun, or slowly when you are dealing with the 500th question that day from a four year old who needs to go to school! lovely post. #sharingthebloglove

4. Laura - dear bear and beany says:

Parenting is so two sided, thank go we are pumped with this overwhelming love that makes us love them no matter what. I’m sure the next 6 years are going to be amazing, the teenager years, well we shall see!! Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

5. The Mum Project says:

Congrats you are my hero! Literally 5:30am starts are ridiculous, how are you awake to write this? Lol I’m going through returning to work non sleeping phase, it feels like age 6 is light years away! Hope she has a great birthday! Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!

6. Angela Watling (Life, Motherhood and Everything) says:

This is so lovely! It always astounds me how we put up with so much rubbish and are also still happier overall than we were before. I realised the other day that I have just got used to a feeling of continual tiredness in my body! But I get up and do more than I used to. Happy birthday to your little one! #SharingTheBlogLove

7. Lucy At Home says:

Wow I love this post so much! My daughter is also 6 so it really resonated with me. There are so many trials being a parent, and yet the joys are just so strong and all-consuming. Wonderful post! #sharingthebloglove

8. Louise says:

It is so right that we often highlight the bad over the good. But I totally agree that parenting my three little monkeys has been amazing. Even the bad days in a weirdly crazy way. #sharingthebloglove