Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud

I don’t know about you, but it’s been a long time since the last payday and we’re a little bit broke! We’ve been trying to find things to do at the weekends that don’t cost an arm and a leg, so this weekend we drove out to the New Forest.

The New Forest is massive (571 km² – I Googled it) and we’ve probably only explored a fraction of it. A resolution for 2017 is definitely to check out more places around where we live.

We wrapped up warm and drove out past Burley, stopping at the edge of a random path heading into the woods. Well equipped with our wellies and woolly hats we set off through the mud and frost.

Finding Gruffalo’s and squelching in mud were Little H’s main aims of the day!

In typical smartphone and Instagram obsessed mum style I took lots of photos, so thought I would share them on the blog.

A Walk In The New Forest

It’s so lovely and quiet out in the forest (well it was until we arrived!) and sometimes that’s what you need after a hectic week of work and school runs. It’s nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of everywhere else, and get some fresh air of course.

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

Little H had a great time stomping through leaves, almost getting her welly boot stuck in the mud, and generally running wild. Like most kids it can be hard to drag her away from her tablet and the TV, but we never hear any complaining once we’re out.

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

It wasn’t actually too cold, but there was a lot of frost and ice in the shade – a proper winter walk!

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

Poor Little H never gets to see snow living so far down south, so was very excited about the frost, “Look Mummy it’s like snow!”. We’re going to have to take this poor kid to see real snow soon!

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

There wasn’t another soul around, just the way I like it! It was a bright sunny day too, perfect for taking photos. Even though my little family get annoyed with waiting for me to put my camera way and catch up…

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

We didn’t find any Gruffalos but we had a good look under logs and behind trees! There was alos lots of “We can’t go under it, we can’t go over it, we’ll have to go through it” from Little H.

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

After an hour or so our toes were like ice, Little H had mud inside her boot, and the husband who wasn’t very well prepared had wet socks. Signs of a successful walk I think! We headed off to the pub to sit by the fire, passing by the “Love heart tree” on our way back to the car.

Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud | copyright www.digitalmotherhood.com

If you’ve never visited the New Forest and get the chance, you definitely should.

Hope you had a good weekend too 🙂

My Petit Canard

Country Kids

30 thoughts on “Finding Gruffalos And Squelching In Mud

1. Fran Back With A Bump says:

This looks a lovely walk on a cold but sunny day. We’re going to try and find a Gruffalo trail this year- Forestry Commission have several and we did a Stick Man trail near us last summer which made a walk more interesting for our older daughter. Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays xx

2. Sarah Stockley says:

We walk in the woods most weekends – have done for a long time. It’s great when you have little money or just for some fresh air. I’d love to visit the New Forest. Sarah #CountryKids

3. Lucy At Home says:

What a lovely trip. We love being outside as a family. There is something refreshing about being bundled up in your winter things on a clear, frosty day. #MarvMondays

4. The London Mum says:

I have yet to visit the New Forest, but it’s on my list- probably more when the weather warms up because we aren’t near enough for a quick drive there and back.

5. Stephanie says:

We were in The New Forest this weekend too! Like your little one, mine loved the ice and spent some ages playing with it. Beautiful pictures

6. Coombe Mill says:

The new forest is beautiful and as you say there is so much to explore. Looks like a perfect winter’s day for your walk with plenty of natures treasures to photograph and enjoy. Sounds like some good walking boots or wellies next birthday for your husband and a repeat visit, though you still need an excuse to visit the pub!

Thank you for stopping by and sharing at #CountryKids

7. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) says:

The New Forest is beautiful. I used to live in Southampton and it was lovely to be able to go for walks in the New Forest. I love the photo of LIttle H crouching underneath those tree trunks – what a beautiful shot. Finishing off by sitting near the fire in the pub sounds like the perfect end 🙂 #countrykids

8. tracey at Mummyshire says:

The New Forest always looks so gorgeous and to have this on your doorstep to explore must be wonderful. Also looks like you had the perfect winter’s day – cold but sunny. Yes to walking boots or wellies with thick, proper welly liners…cold feet aren’t good!
    Roll on pay day ;))
    #CountryKids

9. Kirsty - Winnettes says:

Your photos are beautiful! I have certainly captured the fun a magic. I love a good woodland walk at the weekend when payday is so far away… We have never actually been to the New Forest but it is on our list for this year. I hope I can take so lovely pictures like you.
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.

10. Karen | TwoTinyHands says:

I’ve not been to the new forest yet but do love woodland walks. Not much beats them. Perfect weather for a walk too. Shame you didn’t find gruffalos but maybe next time. Great photos 😀 ‪Thank you for linking up to the #familyfunlinky‬

11. Training Mummy says:

Such lovely bright pictures. The picture of H looking under the fallen tree is lovely. Never been to the New Forest but if we are ever near by then we will have to go and explore. #countrykids

12. Bread says:

January is a long month lol! I’d love to visit the New Forest, though I live on the edge of no where so plenty of free countryside #kcacols

13. This Mama Life says:

Oh my goodness we are so close to the new forest and still haven’t been. Shame on us! Have to pop it on the weekend to do list asap. Beautiful photos lovey!x