Interview With A Working Mum

Welcome to Interview With A Working Mum – my new blog series for 2017.

Interview with a working mum | www.digitalmotherhood.com

As a working mum myself, and from talking to friends and other bloggers, I know how tough it can be to juggle work and family life. It’s stressful, tiring, and sometimes you feel like you’re the only one going through it.

You aren’t alone though, and I thought it would be good to bring together some working mums, so we can find out what their lives look like, what their struggles are, and how they cope with “having it all”.

Hopefully any struggling working mums out there, or those thinking about returning to work, will feel inspired, motivated and hopefully a little less daunted by the thought of working and raising a family.

I have some great ladies lined up to take part but thought that it was only fair to start off by answering the questions myself.

So here we go with Interview With A Working Mum number 1…

First up, I’ll introduce myself…

I’m Sarah, I’m 36 and I live on the South Coast with my husband and our 5 year old daughter who we call “Little H” on the blog.

When I’m not working I’m usually spending time with my family, we love to get out and explore our local beaches and countryside. I also love reading, films, holidays and of course social media and blogging.

What line of work are you in?

I work for a property company in Bournemouth where I look after the websites for several estate agency brands, along with various other aspects of Digital Marketing.

I’m also a Digital Marketing Freelancer and look after the social media accounts, blogs, and email newsletters for small businesses.

How many hours per week do you work?

I’ve changed this a few times since returning to work, starting with 16 hours when Little H was a baby and I’m now working 31 hours a week spread over 5 days while she’s at school.

Are you in the same job/line of work as before you had your children?

Yes, I’m in exactly the same job and have been there for almost 10 years.

The freelance work is fairly new though, I started then about 2 years ago to make up for the income lost now I’m no longer full time.

How quickly did you return to work after having your children?

Little H was 8 months old when I went back to work. I only went back for 3 days per week – 2 in the office and 1 from home so it asn’t too bad to begin with. I’ve gradually upped my hours as she’s got older, luckily my boss has been very accommodating with my requests to keep changing my hours!

Who looks after your child while you are at work?

Now Little H is at school we just need breakfast club in the mornings and after school club one day a week.

Before she started school she was between my parents, my inlaws and nursery when I was at work.

Did you want to return to work?

There wasn’t ever a question about me not returning to work as we couldn’t do without my salary, but I would have liked a bit longer at home, maybe 12 months.

I know that I could never have been a SAHM though, I’d have gone a bit crazy just talking babies all day long.

What are the hardest things about being a working mum?

Just fitting everything in!

Little H is at school so we have the school runs to do, then there’s the food shopping, house work, after school clubs, birthday parties and obviously spending some quality time with her. There just isn’t enough hours in the day for everything and I fall into bed shattered every night.

What are your favourite things about being a working mum?

One of the best things is that we have enough money with my salary that we can go on days out and lovely holidays with Little H. Without a second salary we would be able to pay the bills but nothing else. Money isn’t the be all and end all, but it’s nice to be able to have lots of fun as a family when we aren’t at work and school.

It is also nice to have a life away from the house and kids, something that’s your own and that keeps your brain active.

What are your least favourite things about being a working mum?

Not so much now, but before Little H started school I felt so guilty for leaving her with relatives or nursery while I went to work. You get to the point where you realise that you see more of your colleagues than your child! It’s not so bad now she’s at school as I’m there to pick her up 4 out of 5 days.

Do you have any tips for other working mums, or for mums returning to work?

I thin my biggest tip would be – be organised! You need to get as much as possible sorted the night before so that you’re not rushing around in the morning.

My other tip would be try to remember that you are doing this for your family. Think about all the things that working will enable you to do with your kids. That helped me to feel less of the “mum guilt” about being away from my child.

I hope you’ve enjoyed this first interview in this new series, next week we have an English mum living in Australia who will be talking about her unusual working setup.

If you’d like to take part in Interview With A Working Mum just drop me and email.

Admissions Of A Working Mother

A Mum Track Mind

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

37 thoughts on “Interview With A Working Mum

1. Lucy's Locket says:

It’s nice to get to know you a bit better! I think kids spending time with their extended family is GREAT. Even if they do it because they ‘have to’ so you can work. My daughter has recently started going to my mums for a few hours a week and she loves it there. She’s always so happy when she comes home. I think it’s good for them to develop relationships with their family too.
    I’m looking forward to reading more of your interviews 🙂 x

2. One Clueless Mumma says:

Interview with a working mum is a great idea and it’s brilliant to be able to read interviews from other mums juggling work with children. I’m not a mum yet but it’s definitely something I worry about regulary so it’s nice to read about how other hard working mums are making it work #workthatworks x

3. Daddy Poppins says:

I recently gave up being a working dad to become stay at home. My wife loved to work. She lectures in a college. I don’t know how you or she does it.

Big thumbs up for working mums.

4. Devon Mama says:

Really enjoyed reading your answers. Definitely agree about the guilt of leaving them but you’re right about it giving more possibilities! Looking forward to reading next times and being a part of it in the future.

5. Emma says:

This was a really interesting read, and hi from a fellow Bournemouth mum blogger! I am kind of dreading finishing maternity leave this time and juggling work with 3 kids. I definitely think there’s a balance to it. Last Christmas I was working 40 hours a week but around 15-20 hours overtime a week and it nearly broke me. I went part time and was much happier x

6. Nicola says:

Love your tip about doing it for the family… the mum guilt is real sometimes. I’m on maternity leave at the moment but would be interested to take part once I’ve gone back? I’ll drop you an email closer to the time

7. Sally Collingwood says:

I am a working mum and its not easy. I had four children and went back when the youngest was 4, doing 10 – 2 jobs. School holidays were always a tremendous problem and wirth no support from our extended family, I always had to pay people for childcare. I had some really rubbish jobs in the early days just to fit in with the hours, but as my commitments to my children got less as they got older I got better jobs. When I did not work and when the children were small, we struggled for money. It is so much better now, but in this day and age you cannot live on one wage, you both have to work. It does get you out of the house, but sometimes the housework suffers and you really have to plan in advance to make sure you do book off those sports days and Christmas plays. Your children must always come first no matter how much pressure you are under from work.

8. Rach says:

Fab post, I really enjoy interviews like this, they’re really interesting. I’m a working Mum and work similar hours to your interviewee. It’s tough but doable. I’d love to take part in this series. #stayclassy

9. Candace says:

Whatever path you choose as a parent isn’t easy and often we don’t have a choice. It’s about making the best with our circumstances

10. Rebecca says:

I am lucky to work from home, which I know some people wouldn’t consider lucky. But I think fitting everything in would be the hardest about working elsewhere x

11. Jessica Foley says:

I love this! I’m trying to get more “working mom” posts on my blog as well. These are great questions. They really are the things I think about as a working mom. Good job and I hope you find some other great working moms to interview! (I’m interested if you’d like a Canadian mom – drop me an email!)
    #StayClassyMama

12. The London Mum says:

This is a great series- I’m a stay at home mum but with an eye on doing more freelance work. Trying to jugged work and parenthood is definitely one of the hardest things I think.

13. theparentingjungle says:

I love this and the idea for the series. I went back to work when my son was 6 months old, I was a single parent then and was struggling for money. Now I work 25 hours a week but still find things a bit of a juggle, I think because I have no family near I can call on if I get caught up at work etc. Breakfast clubs are my saviour! It is a busy life but I also like being able to buy my son things he wants 🙂 We all work hard! xx #stayclassymama

14. Beth @ Twinderelmo says:

I went back to work after having my son but took voluntary redundancy when on maternity leave with my girls. It didn’t make financial sense for me to return to work and have twins in daycare. I’ve loved being able to stay at home though and don’t think I’ve lost the plot all that much! Haha

15. Emma Jones says:

Great to read other working mums perspectives. I returned to work when my children were about 1 & they both went to nursery. It can be a juggle but the extra salary makes it worthwhile. #weekendblogshare lifeinthemumslane

16. Angela Watling says:

Really interesting read! Lovely to hear more about you. I call my daughter Little H too 🙂 Juggling working and motherhood is tricky so you’re right, organisation is the key #fortheloveofBLOG

17. Busy working mummy says:

This is really good series and as a full time working mum I always find it interesting to hear other mum’s views. I personally love working and having a balance of adult time and family time. #forthrloveofblog

18. Amy @ Mighty Duxburys says:

This is a fantastic idea for a blog series and your questions are really interesting. As a fellow working mum, it’s great to read from ladies in a similar situation and to know that the mum guilt subsides is a real relief! I’m going to wing you an e-mail now to jump on board because I’d love to take part! 🙂

19. ljdove23 says:

I love reading these, especially as I am a stay at home mum, I often wonder how it feels to be a working mum and whether I am missing out!! Lovely to get to know other bloggers a little better too. Thank you for linking with #fortheloveofBLOG

20. Sarahbel says:

I’m just back from mat leave (ie day 4!!) and whilst it’s got it’s challenges it definitely feels like the right move for my family. I managed to get 3 days a week (which i had to fight for!) but think this is a good balance for the baby days. Thanks for spotlighting this, helps all of us!!! #kcacols

21. mainy says:

Great series you’ve started and I also had a look at the next one you’ve done which is also great. I love learning about fellow bloggers and also local ones, I’m based in sunny bournemouth:)

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

Mainy

22. The Mum Project says:

What a great idea!! Love this, I would definitely like to read the next post : ). Really interesting to learn about how other people handle being a working mum. I really struggled in the beginning. I went back after 6 months full time (1 day WFH) and I was exhausted!! Bear wasnt sleeping through the night so I found this really hard. I’m glad to know the mum guilt goes away after they start going to school! : ) Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!

23. Becky Clark says:

This post is really great and so relevant to me! I’m returning to work in March after over a years maternity leave, to say I’m anxious is an understatement. I’ll be going back full time , 5 days a week. I know it’s going to be tough but I just need to remember why I’m doing it!
    Great post that helped but my mind at ease…a little!
    #KCACOLS

24. Carlie says:

I feel like I could have written this post myself! I have a 5 year old son (who seems to have a better social life than me) and it can be so tough trying to to juggle everything, luckily I’m only working 3 days a week so I’m really enjoying being able to spend quality time with him.

25. Tooting Mama says:

That’s a great reminder of being a working mum, and no doubt that’s what I will be doing when I get back to the UK – attempting to be organised, fitting it all in, and trying to get away from the guilt trip! #KCACOLS