Things To Do Before You Turn Six

Little H is almost 5 & a half (I still can’t believe it!) and is always saying “when I’m 6 will I be able to…?”. It gets me thinking about how much she’s achieved over the last year.

She’s been at school for over a year now and is great at reading by herself which is a fantastic achievement for any child. School has also made her really independent and much more confident.

We signed Little H up for gymnastics at the start of this year and she has just done her second graded badge.

There’s plenty more that I wont bang on about, but it makes us wonder about all the things that she’ll accomplish over the next year.

Between us we’ve come up with a list of things to do before you turn 6…

Things To Do Before You Turn Six | www.digitalmotherhood.com

Ride a bike without stabilisers

We attempted this a few months ago. It did not go well. But we’re going to buy her a new bike (without stablisers) for Christmas and we WILL master it by the time she’s 6!

Swim without arm bands

This is something we haven’t really attempted yet. Little H goes swimming with my Dad quite often but has never had any proper swimming lessons. I’m looking for some lessons for her to start in the new year so I’m sure she will manage this one before she turns 6.

Tell the time

Little H got a watch for her birthday and has started trying to tell the time. Mostly she can get the o’clocks but anything else is just a pure guess at the moment. They’re now learning this at school so I think she’ll be able to do it soon.

Tie your shoe laces

I tried to explain this once and it gave me a headache. We’re going to have to get her doing this soon though –  I can’t have a 6 year old who can only wear velcro shoes!

Do a cartwheel

This is Little H’s personal entry into our list. At the moment she wants nothing more from life than to be able to do a cartwheel like the big girls at gymnastics. I’m no help whatsoever but hopefully with help from her gymnastics teacher and lots of practice she’ll get there.

What would you put on a list for your child?

Dear Bear and Beany

30 thoughts on “Things To Do Before You Turn Six

1. Keri-Anne says:

My little girl is 5 and a half too and her main dream before she turns 6 is to ride her bike with no stabilisers. She is finding it so difficult but i am going to try my hardest to help her x

2. Colette says:

Chloe got a bike without stabilisers for her 5th birthday but as yet has struggled to master it. If I’m honest I think it’s probably a little big for her which isn’t exactly helping the situation.

3. Emma T says:

N is 6 in January – he ticked off the bike riding just after his 4th birthday, but did go from a balance bike so no stabilisers. And he doesn’t swim with arm bands, but I’d like him to be able to swim at least 10 metres without any float aim. At the moment he can do nearly half the pool but the teacher wants to move him up when there’s space in the next class, but he really needs tobe able to do the whole lesson without anything. So January is the goal.

He’s similar with telling the time -can do o’clock and half past. But the big one for me is tying laces. Now his feet are growing we’re getting to the stage where velcro will be reduced. But lots of people tell me that most don’t learn laces until they’re 7. I can’t wait that long. He’s not even wanting to try to learn at the moment.

Good luck

4. Laura - dear bear and beany says:

I love this idea! I remember my aunty teaching me to tie my laces one afternoon, she has lots of patience and was determined I would do it. It felt like a very big moment in my childhood. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove x

5. Ickle Pickle says:

Oh how sweet! Pickle has just turned four and is already saying ‘When I am five….’ He also says ‘Of course I can – i am four now!’ So cute! Kaz x

6. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons says:

Oh, I really hope she manages to do a cartwheel! I have to admit that I struggled with tying shoelaces for a long time after I was 6 – always went with buckles. I still struggle with knots now! Thanks for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove

7. RACHEL BUSTIN says:

Love the list. I only have a 9 month old but I’m sure time will come when we will want to do these things. Great fun things to do! xx

Thanks for linking up at #KCACOLS.
    Hope you join up again next Sunday.

8. Kaye says:

This is adorable and such a cool twist on something us adults tend to do. Definitely going to do this with my boys as they grow up. Thanks for linking to #MarvMondays. Kaye xo

9. Now I am Mum says:

What a lovely list! I would add hula-hooping and handstands to my list… all things you become unable to do as an adult (pretty sure I’d do some serious damage if I tried a cartwheel now). #kcacols

10. Emma Plus Three says:

My son will be 6 in March but I don’t think he’s close to doing any of these yet. We really do need to sort swimming lessons and encourage him to use his bike more often but he just isn’t interested x #KCACOLS

11. jeremy@thirstydaddy says:

Mine is about the same age and my list would look pretty similar. I’ve been putting off teaching her to tie her shoes because I know its going to be a real patience tester. Might be about time though #KCACOLS

12. Silly Mummy says:

If I’m being honest, I’m just pleased I can do all the things on the list! I was genuinely concerned there would be things I can’t do at 36! I think it’s a good list for things to try before 6! #KCACOLS

13. Sarah - Arthurwears says:

Have you tried a balance bike? We had a team come into my reception class and teach the children how to use their core muscles to obtain their balance and by the end of the lesson some of the children had already progressed onto pedal bikes (without stabilisers) – i was sceptical until saw this! #kcacols