The Summer Holidays When You’re A Working Mum

The summer holidays are nearly here and everyone’s getting excited about 6 weeks of no school runs and fun days out.

Except for working mums.

The summer holidays when you’re a working mum are a new experience – if anything I find them more stressful than term time.

The Summer Holidays When You're A Working Mum | www.digitalmotherhood.com

Still rushing

No lie ins or lazy mornings for us. If anything we have to get up earlier in the school holidays so that we have time to get to holiday club or the grandparents’ before starting work.

Childcare plans

Arranging childcare for the holidays is a nightmare. I’ve spent hours making sure that every day is accounted for and Little H has somewhere to go. We’re lucky to have great parents who help out, but coordinating everything is hard work.

Expensive Holiday clubs

Both sets of grandparents are in their 60’s now so we can’t make them look after Little H for too many days in a row. This means that we sign her up for holiday club for some of the time as well, which luckily she loves. At £28 per day she’d better love it, we could have another holiday with the amount we pay!

Working from Home

Being able to work from home sounds like a great plan – no morning rush, no childcare expenses, you get to see your child. Yeah right, don’t do it! You’ll  get hardly any work done as you’ll be asked questions all day, the kids will moan that they’re bored, they’ll try to steal your laptop, and you’ll feel bad for ignoring them while you try to work. It’s actually easier to go into the office.

No Play dates

The school mums are all making dates to meet up over the holidays to let the kids play and have days out together, but when you’re a working mum your child has to miss out. I don’t particularly mind not meeting up, but I do feel sorry for Little H that he school friends will see each other over the summer and she won’t be involved.

Mum Guilt

Feeling guilty is a bit of  theme over the summer. Guilty that they’re missing out on time with you, and time with their friends. Guilty that you’re palming them off on other people all the time, and rushing around every morning to get them where they need to be bright and early.

Busy Weekends

Everywhere is busy in the summer holidays, but down here in Poole/Bournemouth the weekends are absolutely crazy with tourists. Only being able to do things at the weekend means that we tend to avoid the beaches and other local attractions as it’s just too busy.

But on the plus side…

We probably enjoy the time we do get to spend with our kids more than the poor frazzled SAHMs. And our kids can’t exactly complain that they’re bored when they are being spoiled by grandparents all summer or making new friends at holiday club can they?!

Do you find summer holidays more stressful than term time?

thumbnailsize

Admissions Of A Working Mother

17 thoughts on “The Summer Holidays When You’re A Working Mum

1. Holly says:

I love this! I’ve been a working mom and a stay-at-home mom and I admire those that work outside the home. You really have two jobs.

2. Ellen says:

We aren’t at this stage yet but it sounds very stressful! £28 for holiday clubs is absolutely crazy. Sounds like you’ve got it all sorted and I’m sure she will have a great summer.

I’ve always thought that with or without kids I would be useless at working from home! I’m not very disciplined so I don’t think I would get anything done. #stayclassymama

3. powerporter says:

Ahh we are yet to experience this, but I see it as our not so distant future both working full time! One saving grace my company shuts down for the first two weeks of school holidays so I will have a bit of time with my babies! I know what you mean about weekends though we live near Chester Zoo and we tend to avoid it all summer holidays! #stayclassymama

4. Lifewrangling says:

The cost of holiday clubs is big here too. We are lucky I guess in that our summer holidays fall over Christmas when a lot of trades close up shop for a couple of weeks and it’s usual to have some time off. Makes it easier to get time off to spend with the kids. I have tried to work on my blog over holiday season and it’ almost impossible with children about. There’s a limit to the number of movies you can let them watch so you get a bit of uninterrupted time. 🙂 #justanotherlinky

5. thefrenchiemummy says:

So many reasons I am happy I am a teacher and I will be off with them. Or maybe not such a good thing and I will get bonkers?! Good luck, I am sure you will be fab x #KCACOLS

6. redheadmom8 says:

I am a SAHM, and I also homeschool my kids, but summer break can still be a bit stressful for us since we don’t have the structure we do when we’re homeschooling. I hope you find a nice balance soon! #KCACOLS

7. mummyitsok says:

Love this! My little man currently goes to nursery all week whilst I’m at work but next September he starts school and I’ve no clue what I’m going to do with him when the schools are closed haha! Holiday clubs and grandparents sound an excellent choice! It does annoy me how expensive nursery and holiday clubs are – the government are all for mums returning to work but they don’t make it blinking easy! #KCACOLS

8. Suburban Mum says:

Yes – this!!! I completely agree about the guilt, missing playdates and palming them off! My husband and I work from home one day a week too and on those days it can be hard juggling everything! #KCACOLS

9. theparentingjungle says:

Nods I agree…Its like a juggle between clubs, childminders, sweettalking my mum and me trying to get extra time off and then in half terms later in the year having less holiday allowance..juggle juggle, I would love the idea of a couple of weeks off 1-1 us time but then again 6 weeks of little ones at home, hot tired and manic sounds hectic too! #stayclassymama xx

10. josandelson says:

yes yes yes yes yes. Another day tomorrow of feeling bad for working when son is off school. Promised him we’d draw and cook and do stuff but I need to work really hard for 2 weeks first in order to take time off. OH never feels guilty and says its good for a child to get a bit bored sometimes and find their own creativity, but i hate seeing him lounge around looking sorry for himself and angling for use of ipad. It’s a toughie isn’t it. No functioning grandparents or other family to help – enrolled him on one course next week but soo expensive. Anyway good to share so thanks. Jo

11. themotherhub says:

I totally identify. we are in Ireland and my son has been off since the beginning of July. He is doing camps for all of july which is expensive and they are only from 10-3 so doesnt even fill a full working day. Its super stressful having to organise all the childcare and eke out the annual leave to make it last #kcacols

12. Cheryl @ Tea or Wine says:

I’m fascinated by how working mums cope over the 6 week break, it really does seem to to take military precision to get it covered. I freelance part time from home and find it hard to manage with no school and preschool, I end up doing a lot in the evenings and during film and tv times! So hats off to you, it must be hard work but I agree, you must so appreciate the time you DO spend with them and I bet they love their time with grandparents and friends. #KCACOLS X

13. Kat says:

I am a ‘work at home mum’ and have been for a while now, because I’m self employed it means I can work to my own schedule too and just work when I want/need to around time with Evie over the summer. We are also lucky that she goes to her dads/grandparents for two weeks in August but the summer hols are so stressful. I have no idea how I would have paid for childcare if I was still in my full time job. I can’t rely on my parents either too much, one lives in London and the other both work full time still! It’s a real nightmare. Thank you so much for linking up to #KCACOLS hope to see you back next time!

14. The Mum Project says:

Yes. Totally agree on the working from home thing. I thought this would be nice but I end up feeling guilty for not paying attention to him and I am trying to multi-task all day and end up not doing finishing my work until late at night. I haven’t experienced the school holidays yet as he is still in nursery but this is a really interesting outlook on what I will have to do later on as a working mother. Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!

15. Mummy & the Mexicans (@ruthhilbrown) says:

I always wondered what working mums do in the holidays. It sounds impossible and extremely stressful, not to mention expensive. This is a good incentive to me to keep working as a teacher, at least our holidays will mostly coincide. #KCACOLS

16. Madeline Littlejohns says:

I’m at home with my children, and honestly don’t know how full-time working parents do it, it must be so, so stressful trying to get childcare sorted for the whole summer. x #KCACOLS