I love my sleep, always have and find getting up at 06:30 for work every day a real struggle. Lack of sleep has definitely been the hardest part of parenting.
We know we’ve been very lucky in that since she was around 2, Little H has gone to bed at about 7pm every night without too much trouble. She used to wake between 06:30-07:00 which was just about bearable, but since moving her to a bed at about 3 years old she’s woken up at around 05:00 every day. Every. Single. Day.
Sometimes it can be as early as 04:30, and sometimes as late as 05:45. I simply cannot function before 06:00 so when she comes in we do our bad genius parenting bit of giving her the iPad and sending her away to watch Disney Jnr videos for a bit.
They say the average 4 year old asks 437 questions a day – a bit of a low estimate if you ask me. Unfortunately the questions don’t appear to slow down at 5 years old, and in our house they start the second our child gets up in the morning.
Most days I get rudely awoken with a prod and a little voice saying “Mummmyyy” and asking me a ridiculous question that for some reason can’t wait until a decent hour.
Here are some of the questions my child has woken me up with…
- What are you dressing up as for Halloween? (It was no where near October)
- Are there jelly fish in the sea in England?
- Is it the weekend today? (Usually on a Monday!)
- Do I have to go to school today?
- What’s for breakfast today? (She attends breakfast club and expects me to memorise the menu)
- When are nanny & grandad back from holiday? (They only went yesterday!)
- Can you find me a new game on the ipad?
- How do you make rain?
- What’s electricity made of?
- Where’s Daddy? (Probably having a wee!)
- Which planet is the coldest?
- When is it my birthday? ( This one is a regular and started about 2 weeks after her last birthday)
- How many days until Christmas? (Also a regular)
- How many days until we go on holiday? (I wish I’d never told her we were going!)
- How do you spell monkey? (whyyy?)
Needless to say I don’t usually give very good answers at that time of the morning!
Does anyone else have to go through this every day?
If you liked this post, why not subscribe to have future blog posts, tips, advice and competitions from Digital Motherhood emailed to you: