Burning Questions Before 6am

I love my sleep, always have and find getting up at 06:30 for work every day a real struggle. Lack of sleep has definitely been the hardest part of parenting.

We know we’ve been very lucky in that since she was around 2, Little H has gone to bed at about 7pm every night without too much trouble. She used to wake between 06:30-07:00 which was just about bearable, but since moving her to a bed at about 3 years old she’s woken up at around 05:00 every day. Every. Single. Day.

Sometimes it can be as early as 04:30, and sometimes as late as 05:45. I simply cannot function before 06:00 so when she comes in we do our bad genius parenting bit of giving her the iPad and sending her away to watch Disney Jnr videos for a bit.

They say the average 4 year old asks 437 questions a day – a bit of a low estimate if you ask me. Unfortunately the questions don’t appear to slow down at 5 years old, and in our house they start the second our child gets up in the morning.

Most days I get rudely awoken with a prod and a little voice saying “Mummmyyy” and asking me a ridiculous question that for some reason can’t wait until a decent hour.

Burning Questions Before 6am | www.digitalmotherhood.com

Here are some of the questions my child has woken me up with…

• What are you dressing up as for Halloween? (It was no where near October)
  • Are there jelly fish in the sea in England?
  • Is it the weekend today? (Usually on a Monday!)
  • Do I have to go to school today?
  • What’s for breakfast today? (She attends breakfast club and expects me to memorise the menu)
  • When are nanny & grandad back from holiday? (They only went yesterday!)
  • Can you find me a new game on the ipad?
  • How do you make rain?
  • What’s electricity made of?
  • Where’s Daddy? (Probably having a wee!)
  • Which planet is the coldest?
  • When is it my birthday? ( This one is a regular and started about 2 weeks after her last birthday)
  • How many days until Christmas? (Also a regular)
  • How many days until we go on holiday? (I wish I’d never told her we were going!)
  • How do you spell monkey? (whyyy?)

Needless to say I don’t usually give very good answers at that time of the morning!

Does anyone else have to go through this every day?

Marvellous Mondays badge by Hello Archie

My Random Musings

Run Jump Scrap!

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

24 thoughts on “Burning Questions Before 6am

1. thefrenchiemummy says:

Good luck with the little one getting up early. It is sometimes hard-work. Still feeding Baba at night and somtimes, I am on mode ‘zombie’. I just do it out of habit really…Love the questions they come up with! How do you make rain 😉
    #bloggerclubuk

2. laughing mum says:

hahaha! oh the questions! lol – “how do you make rain?” what did you say? 😉 these really made me giggle, although I have to admit they probably wouldn’t make me laugh at 6am! My girls are older, and after learning (from an early age) not to speak to me until after 8am (not a morning person) they usually just google everything now anyway haha- #bloggclubuk

3. Sarah Cantwell says:

Too funny! We have just put Rosalie in her big girl bed and the early mornings are killing me. I’ve started to try and ignore her untill at least 7am!

4. organisedjo says:

Love love love this as this was my life too for a while! My eldest also liked 5.30 am starts when she was 3 and 4. She didn’t start with questions it was usually something about dressing up and role play – ‘mummy I’m Rapunzel and you are the queen and you are going to find me, I’ll be in my bedroom hiding, come and find me, but can you help me with my dress first, what are you going to wear’!!! She is now 8 and does sleep until 7 am but she is still asking questions u till she goes to sleep!! #MarvMondays

5. Kerry Norris says:

Haha yes. All the time. My daughter talks non stop about Halloween. She’s only 3 so no idea why she loves it so much lol x

6. Becky, Cuddle Fairy says:

Oh dear…I would not like this at all. That is way too early to be awake let alone asking questions. Any chance you can try to encourage your daughter to stay in bed until the sun is awake or until a light comes on or something like that? I can’t function without sleep. I didn’t sleep for two years with our second child, from the time he was born until he was a little over 2yrs old. It’s tough!! Good luck! Thanks so much for joining us at #BloggerClubUK x

7. Kate+ says:

Haha this really made me laugh. We get the Halloween one ALL the time. At all times of the year. All three of my kids are obsessed with Halloween! And I also think 437 is a conservative estimate 😉

8. Lucy says:

Ha ha ha, I love kids questions. Probably because mine is still too litle to talk…..
    My friend has a 3 year old and my favourite question from her was with her mum on the bus when she asked “why does that man have a nose?”
    #Stayclassymama

9. Ellen says:

This is so funny, love the things they come out with. I would not function at that time of day either, anything before 7.30 is nighttime to me but I know as my son gets older I am going to be woken earlier and earlier! #stayclassymama

10. Sarah Howe (@RunJumpScrap) says:

5am??? Eurgh chick I feel for you. We had a phase of that but it passed. The iPad is a godsend eh? Those questions are funny. We have a lot about birthdays and Christmas too!! Thanks for sharing with #bestandworst x

11. Coral says:

I definitely meet the quota of 437 questions a day but, luckily, Archie seems to give me until 8am-ish before he hits me with his ponderings. Well either that, or I genuinely don’t hear him before then!! Love their inquisitive minds (and general excitement for birthdays, holidays etc) though!!*

*This only applies 8am – 8pm Lol!

12. themotherhub says:

Sympathies on the early wakings – this is what iPhones were truly invented for. Thankfully my six year old is delightfully incurious so I don’t get too many questions ! Love the Halloween question – how random ! #stayclassy

13. Karen Grosz says:

Oh yes, I used to go through this a ton, but it doesn’t last. My boys are 17 and 20. I go to bed way before them now and they never wake me up. 😉 You will get through this. #MarvMondays

14. The Mum Project says:

Hahah how do you make rain?! I think I would find this hard if it was five in the morning. 4:30am is harsh. I’m sorry your daughter is waking up so early, but if it makes you feel any better I get up at least three times a night and have to be at work by 7:30am. The sleep thing is very hard, totally agree it is he hardest part about parenting. I hope it gets better soon for you and me! Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!