My name’s Sarah and I’m a social media addict.
To be fair though, my job revolves around social media so I do spend a lot of time on it for work. However, I check my personal Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts regularly.
Social media wasn’t a ‘thing’ until I was in my late 20s. I was 27 when Facebook suddenly became something everyone was signing up to, and I was probably 29 when I set up my Twitter account. As such, I do find that whilst most people I know do have Facebook accounts, I do still find myself justifying the point of social media to a lot of people my age and definitely to my parents who don’t get it at all.
Here are 10 reasons why I love social media…
- I’m nosey. Really nosey. I love knowing what people are up to and nosing through their photos.
- And I don’t really like people. So I can find out who what’s going on in their love life, what they called their child, and where they’ve been on holiday without actually talking to them.
- Easily keep in touch with far away friends. I have friends from Uni that are scattered across the world. Before social media I guess I’d have had to write letters to keep in touch, and who has time for that when you have kids and work. With Facebook I get regular updates on their life, and see photos of their kids that I have never had chance to meet.
- Boredom buster. I spend a lot of time in the car waiting. Waiting for my daughter to finish school, waiting for her while she does gymnastics, waiting for my husband to finish work. I have no idea what I’d do if I didn’t have social networks to scroll through while I was waiting!
- Answers to burning questions. Yeah ok you can Google anything, but you can also ask a question on Facebook or Twitter and get lots of instant answers or recommendations from ‘real’ people. Definitely a massive help when you are a parent!
- ‘Meeting’ new people. In my 5 years of being a mum I have made so many online mummy friends through Twitter and Instagram. Most of these mums are more useful when I have a child related problem than my ‘real life’ mummy friends, and it’s lovely to have people with children the same age as yours so that you can compare notes.
- Celeb stalking. How did we follow our favourite celeb’s every move before Instagram?
- Keeping family and friends up to date. I don’t have to remember to email photos of my child’s every achievement and school photo to relatives, I just stick it on Facebook. Even my 80 year on Nan is on there!
- It’s instant. I am very impatient, so I love the fact that I can get instant result from social media. Whether it’s an answer to a question, a complaint to a company or chatting to a friend.
- Find out latest news. Unless you regularly visit a news website, I bet most people find out any big news stories via Facebook or Twitter. If something big has happened you’re guaranteed to find out about it pretty quickly as your timeline will be full of people sharing the same story.
So there you go, that’s why I love social media. I could probably go on. And this is without going into the reasons that social media is great for businesses! Why do you love social media?
If you liked this post, why not subscribe to have future posts emailed to you: